Monday, September 5, 2016

#1 way to change your culture

The Number One Way to Change Your Culture

Steve Keating recently tweeted;
“The three most valuable brand names on earth Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.” (Steve Keating ‏@LeadToday  Aug 27)
When I read these words it caused me the think what does this say about us. We are the people which give these brands their value. You might want to argue but in truth, none of these (cigarettes, soda, or beer) add any real value to our physical bodies and very little nutritional value. In truth, usually these thing only add trouble if not death. 

I remember hearing Dave Ramsey say on his radio program that the average American has too much debt, spends more than they make, and does not live on a budget and yet we are surprised when our elected officials do the same thing. 

The truth is when we look around at the problems in our culture, the root of most if not all of it is that we are the problem. We want other people to change but we don’t want to. 

Yet, if we examine the teaching of Christ and the Bible, we see that God calls for us to be transformed before we try and change others. We want the rich or the lazy or the bigot to change first. We think we are okay or at least better than others and if they (Liberal, Conservatives, Democrats, Republicans, or whoever you pick) do better then and only then will life become better. The truth is that if we want the world to change we have to take the steps we need to and let God worry about other people.

The longer I live the more I realize it's not someone else that has to make the changes, I have too. If you want to change the culture the number one thing you have to do is to change yourself. 

Now you might say, then why are you writing this if it's you that needs to change? 

My answer is when I write, I write first for God and myself. At the end of the day even if no one reads this it is important that I write it, for me. If writing, even if not perfectly, is one of my gifts then I have to use it. What you do about this isn’t my problem it’s yours. What I do about these words is my problem and I am reminded that if I want the world to change, I have to change. Culture is formed by the thoughts and actions of its people, so if I want it changed, I have to change. 


After all when all is said and done. I am the only person I can control.   

No comments:

Post a Comment