Monday, October 31, 2016

I was caught

There wasn't a plan in my mind to do this. It just wasn't a good idea. Then bang it happened. I was caught with no way out. How did this happen? I meant good and now this!

By now you are wondering what I am talking about. So I will keep you in suspense for only a moment longer. First some back story.

My youngest daughter has taken up the challenge of being a writer. She is almost done with her first book (by the time this is published it will be completed somewhere between 40-50k words), actually, it is the first book in a trilogy and it's a good story. I heard about National Novel Writing Month for youth and thought I would encourage her to join. This would spur her on to finish her second book. Sounded like a great plan.

Joe Blunting from the Write Practice was putting on a free webinar on preparing for NaNoWriMo. I convinced my daughter to join me and listen to it. She was interested but wanted me to ask a question so I posted "my 14-year-old daughter is watching with me and wants to know what happens if she writes her book and nothing happens to it?"

Wouldn't you know during the question and answer time he took on the question. Now Joe if by chance you do read this, you never did fully answer the question. However, your comment to her that is was a good endeavor made her more committed to take it on. But you couldn't quit there. You challenged me to join her on this quest. When she heard that I was doomed. She looked like the proverbial Cheshire cat and gave me a big hug and took off to do some writing. I was stuck wondering what had happened.

As I had said, I had already decided this was not going to be a good month for me to do this. For the sake of my daughter, I have taken the plunge. I have committed to NaNaWriMo as has she. So needless to say this weekly blog post will see some reruns for the rest of the month. Wish me luck and Joe (again if you're reading this) THANKS (I think? ;)  

So what is the lesson in all of this? There are times in our lives where helping others, especially our children. will take us places we didn't want to go. Don't draw back. Charge forward, let's be honest at my daughter's age if she saw me drawing back from a challenge she might never have the courage to try difficult things again. Here is the truth, we lead by example, period! Words can help but without example they are worthless. Now you have both my words and my example, in the words of Jesus, "Go thou and do likewise."


By the way, Joe has some great writing tools at his site: The Write Practice

No comments:

Post a Comment