Saturday, November 5, 2016

David and Bathsheba, and the Dye Job



Recently I looked at some pictures my wife took and posted on Facebook. I was not at all pleased. First I thought I reminded that I needed to lose weight but since I am slowly trying to change my eating habits I grudgingly accepted the picture represented who I was. The other thing that bothered me was that most of my hair has gone white. 

Curious enough if it was all white I wouldn’t have had a problem with it. I usually dye my hair white at Christmas so I can play Santa Clause for the senior adults at the local nursing homes. It's fun and I don’t have to promise to bring any presents. However, my hair was (notice that word, was as it isn’t now) about 90% white with  my mustache being about 70% black. The distinguished salt and pepper were gone and now instead of looking like a distinguished 49 years old (which I am) I looked more like a regular 65-year-old. 

What could hurt I could spend a $1 at the Dollar Tree and add a little bit of distinguishment (yes that isn’t a word but it will work for today). I added the touch of black and my wife hated it.
So the next morning I took the little bit of color lightener that I had left over from Santa last year and tried to take it out. It worked, kinda. The result was a reddish dirty brown in most of my beard. This was worse. So it was either spend the money and buy more lightener and do it right or add the black back in for now.

You got it. I took the cheaper route.

I tried to add in the black dye to the place that was brown. Yes, it covered the brown but now my wife said it didn’t look right with the rest of the beard. So back to the bottle (of colorant, not liquor though some might think I was when they see me next). I colored my whole bread. 
It actually did not look too bad, other than the fact I didn’t recognize the guy looking back at me in the mirror. However, now my wife pointed out that the bread was a different color than the rest of my hair. There isn’t much but it bugged her. 

I got the razor to shave it all off and my wife reminded me that I grew the bread to be Santa. Then she said, “I don’t know why you messed with it in the first place.”

I resisted the urge to tell her that her pictures made me look old which would have made for a very bad day. Besides I knew the truth, vanity. 

Vanity is not a good thing actually its a sin. I am not saying we shouldn’t try to look good, we should look our best. This wasn’t that it was me not accepting who I was and being a little vain. 
Little vain? I had gone from adding a little bit of color to know dying all of my hair a different color. Everyone would know and there wasn’t a way to hide it. I had tried but every action just made it worse. Instead of accepting what I had done at first and doing what it took to make it right, I keep trying to take the easy way out. And now I don’t see myself in the mirror and everyone is going to have a little laugh at my expense.

Unfortunately, not all cover up jobs end with that little bit of cost. 

When we look at what happened when David tried to cover up his sin we see far worse actions and circumstances. 

David was supposed to be at war but he stayed home. He spotted a woman bathing and instead of stopping he went ahead and sent for her. Then came the news she was pregnant. The attempt to cover up the pregnancy by getting her husband to come home and sleep with her. That not working David sent her husband off to be killed in battle and married his wife. (2 Samuel 11-12)

Every step David took to cover up pulled him in deeper. Even after it was all done and David repented the consequences cost David three sons, several wives to being raped by a son in public no less, and nearly the loss of his kingdom. 

All of this because he tried to cover up his sin. I know most of us would say we would never go that far. Most of you won’t literally kill a person to hide something, but most aren’t above lying and cheating to do so. 

My story and David’s is a reminder that trying to cover up a sin or mistake will take you to places you don’t want to go. The first step to change is admitting the truth, not covering it up. This is true in our spiritual lives even more than it is true for addicts. We have to be willing to see ourselves for who we are and not try and hid it.  



Oh, and be kind. Don’t laugh when you see me or do, better to laugh than cry.

CSA

No comments:

Post a Comment