Friday, November 4, 2016

Does Adversity Reveal Who we Are?

Okay, I know I am supposed to be concentrating on NaNoWriMo but I was couldn't leave this alone. I wanted to comment on it. CSA

I don’t know who he is but Author Golden was reported to have said (twitter so take that for what it is) “Adversity...Tears Away from Us All but the Things That Cannot Be Torn, so That We See Ourselves as We Really Are."

I started to agree that this is true. Adversity can strip away everything but the things we truly hold to dearly. The problem with this is not everything we hold to dearly is really who we are or have anything to do with reality.

Case in point: In the show American Idol people try to win a recording contest by singing their way to the top. The problem is that some people face the adversity of the judges when they say things like, “You can’t sing” or “That was the worst performance I have ever heard in my life.” Some people begin to argue and tell these people who are professionals in their fields that they don’t know what they are talking about. They will begin to insult the very people they were trying to convince just moments before they deserved a chance at a recording contract.  

So where does this lead us?

I believe it takes us to the truth that adversity doesn’t reveal who we really are but does show us what we really believe and really hold on to. Unfortunately that may have nothing to do with the way things really are. 



Just to give credit where it is due, @JohnSparks is the guy who sent out the original tweet and he asked if we agreed. You see my answer but do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment