Thursday, March 16, 2017

Personal Blog -What were you "Squirrel"

One thing about having a blog is you can see how long you have goofed off when you sign back on.

Wow. In the last 30 days, there have been 2 blogs. I use to blog once a week so the 2 out of 4 isn't too bad. The problem is I was posting 2-3 days a week for several weeks. I had a personal goal of finishing the rough draft of a devotional and it stopped.

To my credit I did not quit writing, I was writing but I was not finishing this project. I ask myself why and I have a couple of reasons the first center around something every writer knows- fear.

Fear that if I completed it would then be judged. (What if it stank)
Fear of it being less than what I hoped.
Fear no one would want it.

The second issue surrounds the problem of distraction. I love the gag in the movie UP (Disney Pixar 2009) where the dogs get distracted by what they think are "Squirrel." Yet sometimes we/I get distracted by the routine of writing one thing when there is a shiny idea over here. Maybe, I should say I do get distracted instead of sometimes I get..."Squirrel,"

So I was writing about the sermon on the mount and then "Squirrel," Josh wonders if he should take on the task of building the Whitmore Community of Tomorrow a 5 billion dollar project that is supposed to bring hope to the world, or is it?  Yes, that was a big distraction. I like what is coming out of my story with Josh but what happened is this other project has floundered. (and not posted on the blog which was the intention).

Now I have to admit sometimes we need to chase something different, but if all we do is chase the "Squirrel."

Oh, where was I?

The danger is we don't complete anything, My advice to myself and the few of people who have stayed to read the end of this personal rant is:

Allow space for distraction and inspiration, but don't allow it to keep you from your goal.

Oh-- Next week the post for the Sermon on the Mount study will continue. I can promise because when you read this they will already be in the scheduled to go out. Promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment