Monday, July 31, 2017

The Devil rarely honors his deals.

OR maybe I should title this Why I didn't write that story?

When the Devil does honor his deal the reason is, of course, so it will benefit him.

I say this not because the devil came to my house with blue eyes and in jeans, but from what I see in scripture and see in the lives of people.

Many years ago, I had a nightmare it was very, very vivid. It came to me like a movie, in which, I was the main character, an author. The story unfolded with the Devil disguised as the caretaker gave promising rest for writers of suspense and horror and though he gave them this in body he was tormenting their souls making it possible for them to write more horror.

When I awoke from this dream I felt as if I had the seed of a novel but it terrified me. Writing it I knew would open my mind to some very dark places. Places from which I might never return. I decided that I wouldn’t write it.

Since then there has been a whisper in my mind, “This story is a best seller,” “You can have wealth and fame.” The promise seemed real but now almost two decades later, I have still never written the story, nor will I.

I have written a few small books and have written several stories. Over the few couple of years, I have self-published some of those works. I discovered though the difficulty in writing, editing, and publishing a book. I have learned that even a good story may never hit fame.

Last week it hit me, I was lied to. This horror story would never be all it was promised, yet I would have been changed. I would have opened my mind to a darkness which I believe would have haunted me for the rest of my life. It was all a lie there would have been no reward, but there would have been a price paid, I would have paid it.

Why share this?

You might even now be hearing a lie. It might not be the Devil, but it is making you a promise that if you compromise your integrity there will be a reward. The truth is whenever we compromise our values and integrity, we lose. Even if there is that on in a million chance you get what is promised, the cost isn’t worth the reward. So, don’t do it.

Don’t give in.


It isn’t worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment