Monday, August 7, 2017

A habit, not legalism.

I have been preaching about doing what is needed to grow in Christ. In my preparations, I found one of the most important things you can do to grow spiritually is to engage the Word (Bible Study, journaling, interactive apps, etc) and to make it a habit (at least 4 times a week).

A habit, not legalism.

Some people express their concern about becoming legalistic when it comes to Spiritual disciplines but what they may be is undisciplined. 

I will give you an example of habit versus legalism.

Brushing my teeth in the morning.

Do you think I find this legalistic? Have there been times I had to jump up and run without doing it?

Of course, and no one died. (my wife thought I ate something that died but that's a different story)

So why do I continue the habit (I don't want to be legalistic about it do I)? 

Because it’s good for me and everyone I interact with.

I don’t think that I will ever find anyone so much a rebel that they will tell me I am being legalistic about brushing my teeth. Most will encourage me to keep doing it. They would say it great personal hygiene.


Yet some of these same people will look at my admonition about regularly engaging the Word, attending church, and Bible study as legalism. 

It’s not it just good spiritual hygiene (to use dental terms).

So make engaging the Word a habit, it's only legalism if you define it as that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment