Monday, April 2, 2018

TCN's Biblical Journey April 2

Today's reading is 2 Kings 13-17

Israel took God's gift and then forgot God.


I am accustomed to reading the stories in the Bible and especially in the book of Judges how God brought a deliverer and at least for a time, the people turned their hearts at least somewhat back to the Lord. However, here in chapter 13 we read how God answered the prayers of the people. God sent a savior/deliverer (KJV, NIV) who brought freedom and the people never changed.

I don’t know why but as I write this my heart breaks. I am nearly moved to tears as I think about a people who have taken the gift God gave them and then went back to living as if God didn’t do anything.  I realize that this isn’t anything new and that it still happen today. There are people who come to God and come to church begging for deliverance. Once they receive what they wanted they are gone.


What I see here though isn’t just the lack of gratitude, but the wonderful grace of God given to a people who not only don’t deserve it but don’t appreciate it after the fact. This shows God’s love even to those whom we would have written off. This doesn’t let them off the hook, but it does remind us that God isn’t going to just throw us out if we stumble. He is in the Savior business. 


Photo by LinedPhoto on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment