Friday, November 16, 2018

TCN's Biblical Journey November 16th

Tell City Nazarene Church's Biblical Journey
With Pastor Charles Areson
Today's reading is 1 Corinthians 4-7


I can not read 1 Corinthians chapter 4 and not think that Paul is maybe being more than just a little sarcastic. Listen to him, when he says “Wow you have been exalted, already?,” “I wish that as the apostles of the church we were as good as you,” “You have 10,000 leaders but too bad only a few are really mature.” Okay maybe those aren’t his exact words but that is the core of what he is saying. 

Personally, I think he is heart broke by the arrogance he has heard about in the church. As a Pastor, I can relate a little about people who I have cared about and seen them go astray. I didn’t quite know what to say, but at times I did think, “So did you hear me preach that this kind of sin was okay, or have you found something in scripture no one else has seen?” I have never said it but if I thought it might wake the person up, I would have in a second. Paul here under the inspiration of the Spirit knows now is the time for a little sarcasm. From what we read later, it worked.


Side note: You had better make sure the Holy Spirit is guiding you because sarcasm is a dangerous tool. Used wrong it’s like using dynamite to clean out a clogged drain. Yes, the clog is gone but so are the pipes and the house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment