Monday, May 20, 2024

Genesis 44



In Genesis 44:5 Joseph's servant accuses Joseph's brothers of taking Joseph's cup that he uses for divination. The question some ask is why Joseph would have a cup of divination if he was serving God.  Joseph doesn't trust pagan practices. So what is happening? Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary sums it up best "It is not likely that Joseph, a pious believer in the true God, would have addicted himself to this superstitious practice. But he might have availed himself of that popular notion to carry out the successful execution of his stratagem for the last decisive trial of his brethren.*

Out of context, a person could argue that Joseph was acting like everyone else, but in context, we see that Joseph was playing a part for his brothers. Yes, some could say that is assuming but they are also assuming if they say Joseph is practicing divination. However, looking at Joseph's previous actions we see no reason for him to practice divination. 

So what does this have to do with us today? The answer is that we need to guard our assumptions about others. Are we assuming that someone is doing something because others do it? Are we assuming because it is what we would do? I remember playing a game in college where you would ask questions and people would judge if you were telling the truth or not. As I remember, I was being asked if I would turn over a large amount of money if I found it. I, of course, said yes. One person in the group looked at me and said I had to be lying because if they found that they knew they would keep it. I really felt cheated because I was judged a liar. After all, they would have taken the money. It was then, that I began to realize how often we judge others based on our own actions and thoughts. Let's be better and not assume or rush to judgment.  


*https://biblehub.com/commentaries/genesis/44-5.htm

Photo by James Coleman on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment