Friday, July 12, 2024

Job 23

 


When I read Job's words I can't help but think of what seems its opposite in Psalm 139. 

JOB:

If I go east, He is not there, 

and if I go west, I cannot find Him.

When He is at work in the north, I cannot behold Him;

when He turns to the south, I cannot see Him.

Psalmist:

Where can I go to escape Your Spirit?

Where can I flee from Your presence?

If I ascend to the heavens, You are there;

if I make my bed in Sheol, You are there.

If I rise on the wings of the dawn,

if I settle by the farthest sea,

even there Your hand will guide me;

Your right hand will hold me fast.

If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me,

and the light become night around me”—

even the darkness is not dark to You,

but the night shines like the day,

for darkness is as light to You.


 To Job, it seems that he can't find God but the truth is God is there. Job doesn't realize it or feel as if God is there, but that doesn't change the truth. Just because we, like Job, don't feel God's presence or see Him working doesn't mean that he isn't there. All it means is we don't see Him. We might be in the dark, but God isn't. The beautiful thing about Job is even though he doesn't see God and in fact fears God, Job still trusts Him.  



Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment