Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Psalm 23


 

There are times when we look at this Psalm and get a picture of ease. I know, I have. Green pastures, Still waters, eating at a table, these all are pictures of ease so isn't Christianity a life where we will be at ease all the time according to this Psalm? 

NO!

Look again, I see a shepherd (someone else owns me), a valley of death (maybe we are passing through but why not avoid it?), a rod (correction?), a staff (what? I can't go my own way), enemies in front of us (just wipe them out, why not), goodness and mercy following (sorry, I want them with me always) and speaking of following I will dwell in the house of the Lord (why not my own place now?). 

Now that I look at this Psalm, this isn't a paradise where everything always goes well. It is a promise of a Good Shepherd who will ultimately give us what we need, with his peace and presence now. This looks a lot more like what Jesus promised. Jesus promised suffering, enemies, and death but with it his presence, peace, love, and a better world to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment