Sunday, July 28, 2024

REJOICE!?


“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5:11-12

As I look around at the world today, I have to admit that I don't obey this command as I should. I am offended, angered, and fight an urge to lash out. Yet, I know it won't do any good so often I don't. However, I'm not where I should be. I should be rejoicing.  When people around me mock Christianity I should rejoice. When we are lied about we should consider it an honor. Those in authority lied and falsy accused Jesus and later His apostles so why should I think I deserve respect? 

Will I celebrate the actions or support them? No, and neither did Jesus but He also wasn't offended either. He told his disciples to just move on when rejected at a place. Jesus didn't call down fire but wept over the coming destruction of those who would kill him. Jesus loved his enemies, and so should I.

Someone may point out that Elisha cursed the young people when they mocked him. Yes, but even then Elisha didn't cause the bears to come out that was God's doing. Here Elisha was saying because of their actions evil would come upon them. If they had stopped and repented then, as I see scripture, no bears would have come out, but like most of Israel when they heard the warning of curses coming for their sins they ignored it until it was too late. This brings me back to what Jesus did, left it in the Father's hands. He could have called 12 legions of angels and didn't. I think it's good that God hasn't given me that power, because I might have and regretted it later. 

So what do we need to do? Follow Jesus. Don't be offended, rejoice, love, and pray. 

Thankfully it's not something I have to want or enjoy, but it's what I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment