Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Psalm 20

 


This is a psalm of David that the priest and the people would sing for him probably before a military campaign. This psalm is actually a prayer. This prayer asks God's favor on his leader. This as I have mentioned before may be prayed with a person in mind, a spiritual leader. 

The other thing that is said is that the person singing will rejoice when the leader is victorious. This reminds me of Paul's admonition in Romans 12:15a to "rejoice with those that rejoice." I have found that sometimes it is hard to rejoice in the success of others especially when we didn't get the victory. It may be fallen human nature to sulk when others win, but that isn't what God wants for us. He wants us to rejoice when other people get victory. 

As I write this, I am reminded that I was NOT elected for a position I wanted at a meeting, last week. I was and still am a little sad, as I really wanted to fill that position. However, I look at the people that were chosen and I am glad for them. I know that those who were elected will do a great job. This being said I have to imagine that rejoicing for others might be hard when if we feel that the person isn't going to do a good job. When this happens we need to pray and let God work it out. Starting out let's make sure we are at least rejoicing for our friends and allies. 

Photo by Keith Luke on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment