Friday, April 6, 2018

TCN's Biblical Journey April 6- Chase a lion? or do nothing?

Today's reading is 1 Chronicles 8-12

This is a post from February 2014 but it fits here today

Today I listened to a young man, Jacob Salem, from Olivet Nazarene University preach. I enjoyed it. What caught my attention was not the running leap from the podium, but the scripture he used. 

Benaiah son of Jehoiada, a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, performed great exploits. He struck down Moab's two mightiest warriors. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion.(1 CHRONICLES 11:22)

I do not know if he has read the book "Chase the Lion" by Mark Batterson, (I haven't yet either) but wether he did or not the question both ask are basically the same:

Do you trust God enough to chase you dream, even if it looks crazy?

WELL?

Are you?

The sermon caused me to think back to all that surrounded the publishing of my first book, The Bee in the Blackberry Bush

When began to to chase this dream in July 2012, I set aside the facts:

I was no expert in writing
English was my worse subject growing up
I had no talent in art (I can not draw a strait line with a ruler)
I did not know any illustrators
I had no money to pay an illustrator
I had no money to pay an editor
I did not have a good name for the story
I did no have money to pay a publisher
I had no experience in book design 
I did not know any translators (this comes into play later)
I had no money to pay translators
I had no platform

In spite of that what has happened. 

The Bee in the Blackberry Bush is published in print in 3 languages, 2 in Kindle format. The title was give to me by Garrett Lee who also edited the book for me. Garrett's brother Don is an excellent illustrator and both brothers donated their services(This was Don's first published work, WOW he has a future, hire him). I learned how to self-publish for next to nothing. I learned how to design a book(this is harder than it looks). Two great people took up the challenge of translating the book into their own languages. Update: At this time I have published two more books and have helped other get their work published also. I know of at least 12 book which are in print because I helped encourage or actually formatted the books.





How did all of this happen? I chased the lion.

I can not promise this will happen for you but if you do nothing; nothing is what you will have.










* I am not endorsing Mark Batterson and he is not endorsing this blog.
He has never heard of me, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment