Thursday, October 10, 2024

Job 36

 


In verse 15, Elihu says that God "by means of their suffering, he rescues those who suffer. For he gets their attention through adversity" (NLT). I have to agree with Elihu, God often gets our attention when things go wrong. This is why it is often said that someone has to hit rock bottom before they will look up. There are times when adversity is the only thing that will get our attention or correct our behavior. I think of the people who ignore their doctor until something goes wrong and then all of a sudden they are willing to listen. It is the same with God. In fact, I would say that in this affliction may be our friend and a gift from God.  Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn (The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956) said “Bless you prison, bless you for being in my life. For there, lying upon the rotting prison straw, I came to realize that the object of life is not prosperity as we are made to believe, but the maturity of the human soul.” 

Sometimes the greatest pain gives the greatest good when God is in it. 

Photo by Kirk Cameron on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment