Monday, October 4, 2021

Space and Being in the Vine?

Keep reading vines and space will make sense.


John 15:1-4 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

When we look into John 15 it is easy to get caught up in the glories of remaining in Christ and what happens if we do. I don't want to diminish these promises they are great and we need to focus on them and learning what it means to live in Christ. 

However, this is my blog and I write what grabs my attention. Today, while looking over this promise again I was reminded that the first verses aren't the whole of the story. It says further on in verses 5-6, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me, you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned."

Ouch, I truly hope those who believe once in grace always in grace are right, but this doesn't sound like once you're in Christ you are always in Christ. It sounds like a warning. This isn't Christ being mean, as some might want to see it, this is Christ giving us a warning. If you want to live come with me, as it were. It is like telling someone, don't take off your helmet while in space the vacuum will kill you. It isn't said with a villainous laugh, "I'll get you my pretty..." It is Christ laying out the truth.

What I do notice is the warning isn't the end it's in the middle. This means it isn't the most important part of the message and it isn't. It's just a warning. Keep your helmet on now and enjoy this, once-in-a-lifetime experience, the view of earth from orbit (coming soon I hope).


Photo by NASA on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment