Monday, February 14, 2022

Big and Small Are A Success.




Bigger is better. More is the goal. I should have it all. People claim this attitude is the root of the problem with the American dream, but strange as it is many of those who say it want more for themselves, sorry, others (like themselves). I'm not going to specifically look at that but first, we have to admit this is the way most people think, American or not.

In the church world, it's bigger churches, bigger ministries, more saved, more involved and the like is what we see as succeeding. However, I look into the Bible and Isaiah was told (Isaiah 6) that when he was done only 10% would be left and the country would be destroyed. Ezekiel and Jeremiah were both told that their ministries would fall on deaf ears. Jesus had 5,000 men plus women and children but on the day of Pentecost, there were only 120. Paul went to places and saw no results. Saint Thomas was said to have gone to India and yet the nation didn't become Christian. So maybe, we see success in the wrong way. 

As I look at scripture, success in God/Christ comes from faithfulness, not from anything else. A church of a thousand in an area that is seeking the truth may be a failure to God, whereas a country church with 20 might be a success. To God. a book on the New York Times bestsellers list might be proof of faithfulness, just as much as a self-published book to a small community. On the other hand, both might be failures in God's eyes if the people aren't in obedience to God.

The difficulty of course is for those of us on the outside. We can't know who is faithful, we can guess from the fruit of their lives (Matt 7:16-20) but not by the results. Results are in God's hands. Ultimately, we have not to look at others but at ourselves and ask the question, "Am I being faithful?" If you can answer yes then don't let others discourage you.

Yes, it's hard. I understand that right now at the time of this writing. I ask myself the question and though I have failed at times I know I have done what I could. So the metrics we use may be sad, but God isn't and I need to remember that. 

Side Note: Metrics and measurement are important don't hear me say they aren't. However, God isn't going to pull up the metrics of human measurement. He has his own and they count our faithfulness and our willingness to ask for forgiveness. So big or small by our standards if we are doing God's will we have succeeded and can be pleased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment