Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Do you want it there?

 



In the parable of the sower, Jesus speaks of the types of soil that the Word of God lands on when we sow. I was thinking of this when I came home and found a pile of seeds laying on the road. This is just one of the things you see when you live in rural Indiana.

While loading up harvested wheat, the local farmer spilled some of it.  It seemed like a waste to me but when the farmer considers how much effort and time it would take to try and recover the wheat without contamination, I'm sure, it was not worth the effort. One thing I am sure of was this wasn't done on purpose. Later this year I'm not going to find wheat growing on my gravel road and the farmer isn't looking for a harvest there either.

I wonder how often the church pours the seed of the Word on the road. I don't want to say we should try and judge others' hearts and not give to those who might only look hardened. This being said, perhaps, we should consider if what we are doing is where we should be working. Jesus told his disciples in Judea to leave towns that did not receive the good news. On the other hand, God told Isaiah to preach all his days but in the end, everything but 10% would be lost (Isaiah 6).

So what do I conclude? Be wise, but also be obedient. Use the resources God has given you wisely. However, if God says to invest in something that will by all human measurements fail, then do it anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment