Monday, April 17, 2023

I believe, but...


Jesus
 said. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Mark 9:23-24

This is probably one of my favorite scriptures. The reason isn't the promise that if we believe that everything is possible but that after the father's confession of incomplete faith, Jesus heals the child. 

There are more times than I would like to admit when I believe but not completely. I struggle with doubts and as much as anything a bit of self-will. I believe that God will provide but maybe not the way I want or as soon as I want and I act on my own. I regret it eventually, so I get up from my fall and say, "God, I'm sorry. I didn't trust you." The beautiful thing about God is that he forgives. Yes, there are consequences but He will help with that if I believe and act as He would call me. It's work and often it isn't straightforward. For me, right now, I know much of my less-than-stellar attitude at times is more a result of exhaustion and I can ask God for help but his answer is rest. I, however, don't always believe me resting will help the "big picture," but God says if we do things his way then things work out. 

So will I believe it?

I wish I could say otherwise but the best I can do right now is to say, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"


PS> Yes, I did promise some funny Bible stuff and I will get it done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment