Monday, June 26, 2023

It's Not Paranoia...


The story of David found in 1 Samuel 18-20 is a story of David thing going from hero to fugitive.

In the end, David worried Saul is going to kill him goes to his friend. Jonathan wasn't sure it was that bad. I have to wonder if Jonathan might have said something like, "David, my friend, you're just being paranoid. Dad did try to kill you before, but that was when he was having one of his episodes" (FYI: these episodes consisted of a demon tormenting him, so perhaps it could be overlooked.?) However, then David said in this creative retelling, "Jonathan, my friend, it's not paranoia if they're really trying to kill you!"

Jonathan showed mercy on his friend and hatched a plan to see if Saul, Jonathan's dad, was really out to kill David. In the end, which you can read below, Saul wanted David dead. Jonathan in response helped his friend. The thing that stands out to me is how much it cost Jonathan by showing mercy to David.

Jonathan’s mercy cost him.

1. Honor (David was now the new hero)

2. Kingship

3. Relationship with His Father, the King

4, Nearly His Life

Yet Jonathan did it. 

Wow, Jonathan is a real example of what a friend and I would add a Christian should be. 


 So David hid himself in the field, and when the new moon festival began, the king sat down to eat. He sat at his usual place against the wall, with Jonathan sitting opposite him and Abner beside him. But David’s place was empty. Saul didn’t say anything about it that day, for he said to himself, “Something must have made David ceremonially unclean.” But when David’s place was empty again the next day, Saul asked Jonathan, “Why hasn’t the son of Jesse been here for the meal either yesterday or today?”

Jonathan replied, “David earnestly asked me if he could go to Bethlehem. He said, ‘Please let me go, for we are having a family sacrifice. My brother demanded that I be there. So please let me get away to see my brothers.’ That’s why he isn’t here at the king’s table.”

Saul boiled with rage at Jonathan. “You stupid son of a whore!” he swore at him. “Do you think I don’t know that you want him to be king in your place, shaming yourself and your mother? As long as that son of Jesse is alive, you’ll never be king. Now go and get him so I can kill him!”

“But why should he be put to death?” Jonathan asked his father. “What has he done?” Then Saul hurled his spear at Jonathan, intending to kill him. So at last Jonathan realized that his father was really determined to kill David. 1 Samuel 20: 27-34 NLT 

No comments:

Post a Comment