Monday, September 21, 2020

Would you run for office?


 

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

This is a question we must ask is, but also what are we to do. Often if we do have these thoughts, we can get bogged down with what options we should follow. With so many good things that need doing in the world, we can get overwhelmed and end up doing nothing.  

Recently, I was asked if I would consider running for political office. The person reminded me that Christian men and women are often leery to enter this arena, but if true people of true Christian conviction don’t run who will. I couldn’t argue, too often the extremes are willing to run (on both sides). The people who are willing to work out issues don’t want to run unless things have gotten unbelievably bad.  

Side Note: There are a lot of areas of concern which don’t cross moral lines but only people who don’t care who gets the credits can work in those areas. These would be people who are humble, and those people usually don’t run for office.

There is the thought that ministers shouldn’t be involved in politics, but if his ministerial position isn’t full time, what is the difference between being a part-time public servant or part-time insurance or used car salesperson? I don’t honestly believe there is. These positions can be honorable and offer a public service. These positions can be reprehensible and, I’ll use the word that comes to my mind, these jobs can be filthy. The difference is how they are done and what the motives are by the people who are in them.

You might argue to get elected you will have to compromise your Christian principles? But to return to my illustration, for a person to be a successful salesperson one could argue you have to lay aside some of your Christian principles. This is a weak argument though a valid concern.

You could argue a Christian running for office gives the church a bad reputation. Again, if they are doing it in an honest way, why?  People are going to say bad things about Christians, the Bible promised it. The key is to not do anything to deserve it.

One could argue an honest person can’t really get elected. To which I could ask that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t try. How many people in the past have done what was considered impossible?

So, am I going to run? No. I consider my position as pastor full time or at least be available to be full time as COVID has shut down part of my ministry. I am also a writer. I don’t desire another job.

However, do I wish honest Christian people would run? Yes.

? Maybe, my wife should run? …..

This of course isn’t a treatise on the subject. Perhaps it isn’t something worth putting on my blog, as if some of my other ramblings needed to be published. I hope that it causes you to think, even disagree.


No comments:

Post a Comment