Monday, April 12, 2021

Anger Emoji is Unscriptural

 

Okay, unscriptural might not be the right word, but. . . 

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil. Ephesians 4:26-27

What options we have. We can use emojis to show we are sad, glad, hugging, sick, and the big one ANGRY. It's the last one I'm now having trouble with: Angry. By clicking this emoji, we are choosing to express anger. We are choosing anger. However, if we are Christians is there ever a time where we should choose anger? I don't think so.

Anger happens. Anger is a physical response to our environment. God designed us with it, but every scripture about human anger gives a warning. I think this is because we do get angry, but we are never to stay angry or I might add choose anger.

Every medical study, I have heard about says the effect of staying angry is bad. God says it's bad. 

Let's be honest we like to be angry. We're told we should be angry; angry about racism, the climate, the government, the food served at McDonald's, your in-laws, the criminal. . . (and now angry about a blog post from someone you don't even know).

God though says let go of anger quickly. (Ephesians 4:26) As I read it, if you don't let it go you are giving place to the Devil. In the same section of Ephesians Paul tells us again, "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you" (4:31-32). 

Not only are we to put away anger but forgive (the one who makes you angry). 

So, when we choose the anger emoji are we following scripture? No. I really cannot say we are. I personally have to say choosing anger even in an emoji isn't something a Christian should do.

I can hear you say, "but God gets angry." I agree and so being a little blunt when you get God's job then you can choose anger (okay, a lot blunt and maybe even a little rude). However, as I see it, Christians should never choose anger. 

You might say, "I need my anger to stand up against…" This is the same as saying "I need to smoke to keep from gaining weight." It’s dumb, period. Yes, it may be true but it is still dumb. Find another way.

I could go on but this is just a blog post. You want to read more? I suggest Brant Hansen's book Unoffendable

Having trouble forgiving then you can check out my book, Impossible to Forgive. I will even give mine to you free (April 12-16, 2021) just to remove any excuse that this post is just trying to sell my book. 


Andre Hunter on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment