Monday, June 14, 2021

Facebook and the Spiritually Inept

Disclaimer: I chose the word inept (clumsy, unsuited for) because I liked the sound and catch of it. The truth is that the word doesn't really cover what I am talking about. I would explain more but...

 


 It is to one’s honor to avoid replying on Facebook (strife),

    but every fool is quick to post (quarrel). Proverbs 20:3

(RCV, the Revised Charles Version)

How often are people tempted to respond unwisely, not just on Facebook but on every social media platform? I would say a lot. 

I want to note that when I say unwise I'm covering not just replying in anger, but replying in ways that demean, demoralize, slander, or to people you have no moral authority to correct. Many people call responders like these trolls and there are a lot of them. We would like to say "Not me!" but the truth is most of us who have spent any time on social media have done it. It's no wonder people are so divided. There is no love, only the desire to be right. 

Now that I'm on the subject of posting, what about the things you post or retweet? A picture of the president (not just the current on either) with slander underneath it?. A picture of a celebrity with the words "You don't speak for us?" Or just a comment that Democrats hate God or Republicans are racist? 

We can claim that we are speaking the truth. but let's be honest, we are not speaking in love. We are stirring up people or as the Bible calls it strife. 

What does this proverb say? It is an honor to avoid strife! So it's good not to reply/post, maybe not easy especially about subjects we're passionate about. 

What if we are doing it? Then we are comparable to the fool, the spiritually inept. A more Biblical definition is the spiritual reprobate. One who refuses to see God and is morally bankrupt. 

So who do you want to look like?  


Photo by Glen Carrie on Unsplash

 

No comments:

Post a Comment