Monday, January 24, 2022

Knowing So We Can...

 


Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Romans 12:15

I have quoted this scripture many times in my teachings as a reminder of how we are to react to each other when our circumstances don't match theirs. If we truly love those around us we can rejoice when things are going well for them even when they aren't for us. If things are going great then we should set aside our smiles and weep when those around us are weeping. 

This isn't trying to be fake or being a chameleon. What it is, is feeling for others. It's being honest, "Things are going good for me, but I care about what you are feeling." Personally, I think it is often harder to rejoice with people who are doing well because jealousy wants to sneak in. However, whichever is harder we need to work at both.

This is not what this blog is about.

I read 2 Corinthians 8:1 this morning in a devotional; "And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches." It then when on to ask what has God been doing in your town? 

I then asked myself, how can I know what is going on if I'm not asking? How can in light of Romans 12:15, rejoice or weep with them if I never see them? We may not agree on points in scripture but if they are believers in Jesus we should be more concerned and not ignore them. They are family, after all, maybe the strange side of the family but family. 

How can we live this out? Maybe just a call, or joining the ministerial association, or starting/joining a prayer group for pastors. Perhaps just listen a little closer when we hear updates from those around us. Whatever it is we can't act on what we don't know. So maybe we need to work a little harder on knowing? 

I'm not saying, we should put ourselves in partnerships we need to avoid or celebrate when cults are doing good, but we ought to try and know so we can live out this scripture. 

Let's be honest when the world sees we can rejoice when what they see as our competition doing well, then they will see Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment