Monday, April 18, 2022

A Command to Hold


 It seems to me, the western church lives in a culture predisposed to action: do, act, grow, move… Yet, I have wondered if there are times when God’s will is actually for us not to be active? There is clearly direction for taking times of sabbath, which is absolutely a time of non-activity. When I read again the words Jesus spoke to the church of Thyatira (Revelation 2:24-25) I was again brought back to the idea that there are times when action is not the correct decision.  

Jesus said, “Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, except to hold on to what you have until I come.’” NIV

Hold on? Is that it, Jesus? What!? No, take the castle, drive out the devil, or be victorious in Me?

“Hold on to what you have” was his command. Now there is action is keeping what you have but the command doesn’t sound like a battle cry. It’s more like a command to hunker down until the storm is over. This to me is a reminder (as well as other examples in scripture) that there are times when God’s people aren’t called to be active beyond keeping their faith. Even for a time, Elijah was ordered by God to hide. Perhaps we need to remember that working for God isn’t always a victory march.

John Wesley's Covenant Renewal Prayer gives God permission to set us aside if that is his will.  Therefore, we shouldn’t feel guilty if God sets us aside for a time to rest or to take shelter. I would add that we shouldn’t make others feel guilty if God has set them aside for a time. It is God’s will we want, not our preconceived idea of what we or others ought to be doing for God.

I wouldn’t use this as an excuse to be lazy, but I conclude there are times when God tells us to just hold on, period. At least until He comes and changes things.

No comments:

Post a Comment