Monday, April 11, 2022

Dream Team (this post is for me)



 DREAM TEAM

 

In the book, Talent is Overrated, author Geoff Colvin pointed out that many “Dream Teams” had two people. Being a great team required trust and a willingness not to seek to be first at another’s expense. This showed forth that many of the teams Colvin noted had a person who stood out and was known and a second who was content to stay in the background supporting that person and, in a way, point people to them.

I am considering that if I want Sam (the head pastor I work for) and I to be a dream team, I must do all I can to be the person in the background. I need to remember not to seek my glory or recognition, but to point, of course, to Jesus but them to Sam. It is after all his faith in me that has opened this job. He put his neck on the line for me with his board recommendations. So, I must let him be the lead, the one in the spotlight. Besides, no church has ever grown with people saying, I like the associate better than the pastor. Thus, if I want to see God’s mission in this church done, I must decrease.

It is also true that if I keep this attitude, then Sam will be able to trust me as I take up his vision for the church.

Finally, or at the least the last point I will make, I believe Jesus called us to be servants. Sam is the servant to the church, and I am to be the servant to him. Though he is Sam, I need to be Samwise (if you don’t know Lord of the Rings, let’s say a dedicated servant).  

No comments:

Post a Comment