Monday, August 29, 2022

Wesley's Questions #5

  


 I have been recently asked if I could answer the 19 questions that John Wesley had his bishops ask those wanting to enter the ministry. I believed I could so in taking on that challenge I am going to post my answers. They probably won't be perfect or how you might answer them but they will be mine. Perhaps you might ask yourself how you might answer them.  

John Wesley’s Questions

Responses by Charles Wesley Areson

 

5. Are you resolved to devote yourself wholly to God and to God’s work?

I am resolved to devote myself wholly to God. This is what it means to me to make Jesus Lord of my lives. I am devoted completely to him. The beautiful thing about this is that God isn’t looking to just make me a slave or servant but his child. My commitment to God means that I don’t give up living but that I can now live a fuller and more fulfilling life. Yes, there are things I need to let go of, but being fully committed to God means I gain far more than anything I surrender.

When it comes to fully embracing the work of God I hesitate for a second because often when we speak of the work of God we think of the work of the church. The work of the church is important. The work of an Elder is an important role. However, God's work for us is more than just church work. The work of God is first and foremost changing our own lives and striving to be holy. Secondly, working with our families. God’s work in communion with our marriage partner, parenting, and the care of parents carries greater weight than church work (1 Timothy 3:4-5). So yes I'm fully committed to the work of God but it is my heartfelt belief and I believe scripture agrees that my first responsibility is to work for the Christ-like benefit of my family. Further, when it comes to the work of God I have to be willing to accept as Wesley said in the Covenant Prayer God willing not just to work and be employed but also to be laid aside to be full or if necessary to be empty if that is the will of the Lord. Oswald Chambers often reminds us in My Utmost for His Highest that we have to guard against letting the work of God become our god.


No comments:

Post a Comment