Monday, November 21, 2022

Wesley's Questions #16

  


 I have been recently asked by someone in the Global Methodist Church if could answer the 19 questions that John Wesley had his bishops ask those wanting to enter the ministry in regard to the GMC. I believed I could so in taking on that challenge I am going to post my answers. They probably won't be perfect or how you might answer them but they will be mine. Perhaps you might ask yourself how you might answer them.  

John Wesley’s Questions


16. Will you recommend fasting or abstinence, both by precept and example?

I have and will continue to teach and practice fasting. Fasting is a Biblical concept and a recognized spiritual discipline. In the past, I have fasted food and abstained from other pleasures in times of prayer and in the Lenten season. A fast of some pleasure during Lent has been a practice of me and my family for nearly twenty years. I cannot say that I recall anything miraculous happening as a result of a fast or time of abstinence but it isn’t about getting something. Fasting is about discipline and the results of a disciplined life are not often seen when one is practicing. Therefore, I will recommend fasting and abstinence as an important part of Christian discipleship.

No comments:

Post a Comment