Monday, May 22, 2023

Jesus the Failure?



It might be funny to think that Jesus thought, He was a failure. Us? Sure, we mess up and there are times all of us feel as if what we do is meaningless. Consider these words from Isaiah:

 

He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, and you will bring me glory.”

I replied, “But my work seems so useless!

I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose.

Yet I leave it all in the LORD’s hand;

I will trust God for my reward.” Isaiah 49:3-4

 

These prophetic words are speaking to God's coming Messiah. Yet when we see Jesus, most can't imagine Jesus saying that His work seems useless. However, when Jesus is on the cross and cries out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me." I clearly see it. At that moment, the Holy Spirit wasn't giving Jesus the supernatural ability to know things others couldn't know. He was facing agony and death alone. Yet we also see Him saying, "Into your hands, I commit my spirit." These verses show Jesus fulfilling these words but also walking as we often walk.

There are times when all of us feel as if what we are doing is ultimately going to be utterly useless. The truth is without God, they will be. Yet for those who trust God, we can leave all we do in God's hands, and He will reward us for our faithfulness even if no one else will. We might be tempted to laugh at the idea of an uncertain Jesus, but what He went through tell us we're not alone. Jesus knows what it feels like too.


No comments:

Post a Comment