Monday, November 13, 2023

Your hands are warm

 



I have been told many a time that my hands were warm. Usually, this happens when visiting people in the nursing home or hospital but also sometimes at church. I took it as a compliment occasionally repeating the old saying, "cold hands warm heart," leaving off the "dirty feet and no sweetheart" because that just isn't appropriate to say to someone's grandmother as it was usually an older woman who said it. I sometimes would comment that I hoped that having warm hands didn't mean I had a cold heart. Usually, the response was either a little laugh or "Oh of course not."

So why am I writing about that now? Well, because my hands are cold. Uncomfortably cold if I might complain a little. I know why older people have cold hands it is a sign that their circulation isn't working as well as it did. It happens to all of us and today it is a reminder to me that I am in fact very mortal. It is also a reminder that I could have turned the heat on in my office a couple of hours ago and didn't. 

Now to the point. Sometimes there are uncomfortable things that happen in our lives. There are times when they are big but often it is the multiple little things that wear us down. We can complain but that doesn't help. The truth is there are times when there is absolutely nothing we can do except appreciate that others aren't having to face our problems and be glad for them. On the other hand, sometimes we just need to do the thing that fixes the problem, like turning on the heat. In the latter, there is no one we can honestly blame or complain about because we have the solution, we just didn't use it until it became unbearable. 

Today, it's only my fault the heat wasn't on. Thinking about it there are other things that I can only blame myself for. So here is the solution, forget the past and do what I know to do, what I can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment