Monday, November 29, 2021

Why leaders don't follow?


While reading Dr. Ron Lush’s ChristStyle- Leadership,(A lecture in my Master's class At ONU) I laughed and pondered the story he shared.
"I stood by the dim light of a closet attempting to dress without disturbing my wife. It is as though we live in different time zones, so I was shocked when Kay abruptly raised herself on one elbow, looked directly at me from a deep sleep and said, "Here's what I'm thinking about. Everyone teaches leadership. Everyone wants to be a leader. Everyone is supposed to be a leader. Jesus said, 'Follow me.' No one knows how to follow. Jesus is really mad." Then, she just as abruptly fell to the bed, rolled over and went back to sleep ... or, continued to sleep, I'm not quite sure which."

Was this message directly from God? Direct or not, it was a message that Christian leaders need to hear or at least need to be reminded of. We are called first to follow. In Dr. John Bowling's book Grace-Full Leadership, one of the traits he lists for a Christian leader is being “willing to follow as well as lead” (Bowling 97-102). Even in the business world, it is recognized that leaders have to have the humility to listen and follow the lead of others (advisors, employees, customers) if they are going to do great (Collins). 
With all the evidence and teaching, why is it that so many in leadership refuse to follow? I think we all know the answer, PRIDE. Leaders want to be the hero. They want to be Superman not just a member of the Justice League (DC Comics).
 Some Leaders say in their hearts, "I will ascend... I will raise... I will sit enthroned ....I will ascend above...  I will make myself...”(Is. 14:13-14). Afterward, they wonder what went wrong,  why God did not help them, and people oppose them.  (for those unfamiliar these are the words of Lucifer, AKA, the Devil)

Works Cited
       Bowling, John C. Grace-Full Leadership: Understanding the Heart of a Christian Leader. Kansas City, Missouri: Beacon Hill Press, 2000. Print.

       Collins, Jim. Good to Great. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., 2005. Audio.
       Lush, Ron.  “CHRISTSTYLE - LEADERSHIP” Olivet Nazarene University, 2011. Notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment