Thursday, November 11, 2021

The Hospice Pastor



There comes a time when all organizations put together by man either die or are transformed into something new.

I spent many nearly 9 years as a hospice chaplain. I was glad to be able to help people navigate through one of the most difficult times they will face. People appreciated you being there even though there was nothing you could do but comfort the dying and grieve with the family who remained. People appreciated the work it took to be there when nothing could be done, and as far as physical life death was certain. No one looked at you and questioned your faith or saw you as a failure. It was never a thankless job.

However, during part of that time, I had another job. It was nearly the same, it was the job of being a hospice pastor. I won’t go into details but both churches were on the verge of closing. I was asked to go in and “just keep the doors open.” We did. At the first visit to each church, my family doubled their attendance (we have a family of 4). We keep both churches going and paying their bills for 5 years. The first nearly turned around until the death of “the” key person who did live in the community the church was in. The second never showed signs of a turnaround. Both churches saw people saved and lives changed, but when we left the churches closed.

My reward? Two black marks on my record. (Thankfully, the church I’m at now looked beyond that) However, if I hadn’t taken the churches, they would have closed so maybe it was foolish on my part to do as my denominational leader asked? However, the experiences I had and the lives which were helped pleased God, so I try and be satisfied with that.  

So why am I writing this? I’m not going to change the minds of the people who believe that if you just do the right things the church will always grow. However, for those who see pastors with good hearts doing what they can in what may be a hospice church situation, I ask, give them your support and your praise.

For the hospice pastor, be faithful, you’re doing more than you realize. If it is just two mites worth, remember the person who gave two mites gave the most. Know that there are times when you need to let something die. This isn’t failure it’s life in this world. Also, remember this sometimes God raises the dead, so keep trusting him and give it your best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment