Monday, November 8, 2021

Review of IMPOSSIBLE TO FORGIVE


I thought I would share a review written by a retired pastor with thirty years of experience. I was humbled by what he wrote. CSA


A book review on the book, 
IMPOSSIBLE TO FORGIVE?” What God Can Do When You Can’t by Charles Areson.

As a pastor I often said, one of the most dangerous things we could ever pray is, “And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” (Matthew 6:12 NLT).  I mean really, do we want God’s forgiveness of us based on how forgiving we have been towards others?  Jesus added the following to these words, “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” (Matthew 6:14-15).  Simple and to the point, if we don’t forgive others, God will not forgive us.

The same is true of this book.  Simple and to the point.  Areson shows us how God can, indeed will, help us do something that is impossible for us to do on our own.  Forgive others!  No matter what they have done.
In the book, Areson is honest.  He tells us that though God commands we forgive, He was not able to do so.  He shows us how, if we are willing to admit we have a problem (not being able to forgive) and allow God to take us through the process, we too, might reach a point of rebuilding trust and finding reconciliation.
I believe the words of this book are invaluable.  I believe there are many “Christians” struggling with the same problem.  I have already thought of someone I want to purchase a copy for.  Perhaps you will think of some as well as you read and work through it.
Mark Bechtel

Bloomington,  Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment