Tuesday, July 31, 2018

TCN's Biblical Journey July 31st

Today's reading is Jeremiah 9-12

My eyes a fountain of tears!


I have been reading a book in which the author seems at time to make light of, if not mock entirely, Christians who are concerned about the lost of the world. Of course, the author pointed out all of the flaws in these people that isn’t anything new for the follower of God. God in scriptures wasn’t afraid to open to the world the multitude of flaws concerning His followers. Yet, in this book, it seemed as if the author was laying out the flaws as an excuse for dismissing their faith. I see their flaws and though they may have been great, I don’t out of hand dismiss their concern for the lost of the world. Perhaps, this is because I want others to look past my mistakes and sins, but whatever it is, tears over the lost isn’t anything new.

The most quoted example of someone crying out to God on the behalf of others (that I have heard) is here in chapter 9 of Jeremiah. These people are not dead yet, but Jeremiah sees that they are slain in God’s eyes. They are having a good time, they are sleeping around, using and abusing people to get ahead, unaware that destruction is coming. I would guess the people around Jeremiah would mock his tears, but they are real. He cries not out of an imagined disaster but a real one.

Yes, Jeremiah might be more predisposed to tears because of his personality and temperament, but that doesn’t dismiss their sincerity. I am not saying that all Christians should be weeping often like Jeremiah or have the imagined toughness of John the Baptist. However, we should all be moved when a saint of God is moved to tears over the lostness of others. I don’t think we should ever dismiss them.



Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment