Monday, September 6, 2021

Pride and Forgiveness


 Last week I posed the question about the possibility that could pride keeping me from forgiving. So what do you think? Can pride keep you or me from forgiving others?

I believe it can. 

When we are filled with sinful pride (this is not self-confidence or feeling good about doing well) and think our ideas, person, or group are more important than God, it can interfere with forgiveness. The reason is we consider our "rights" of greater importance than God. We have in a way put ourselves into the position of god in our life. The "right" to hold on to anger and bitterness (unforgiveness) is more important to us than God and His commands.  

This of course is self-destructive as a host of research has shown, but it doesn't matter if our pride has moved us into the god position in our life. 

This is why I believe pride can keep us from forgiving. 

Are there people filled with pride who do forgive? 

Yes, I'm sure there are (I haven't meet any). They are forgiving not because it is right before God but because they have found letting go is better for them. 

Personally, I think trying to keep pride out of our lives makes everything better and when it comes to  forgiveness, it makes it easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment