Saturday, February 10, 2024

Isaiah 7

 


What was he thinking?

 Imagine if you will that everyone in your family is sick and is going to die, but there is a cure. The cost to get them all well is far above anything you or anyone you know afford. You're desperate. Now let's suppose the richest person in the world came up and said, "I want to prove to you and everyone around you that money doesn't rule my life. So, I want to give you anything that it is possible for me to give, even if you want all the money I have."


What would you do? 


You would look at the person and say, "Thanks, but I'm pretty sure, I know what kind of person you are. I don't want anything from you."


NO! Only if you're an idiot.


Yet, this is exactly what King Ahaz does when Isaiah comes to him (Isaiah 7). God offers to give Ahaz a sign to prove God will bring deliverance to Judah. Yes, Ahaz couches the refusal in spiritual words, but in reality, he is saying I don't want any proof you are God. 


God said ask anything? 


What could he have asked? The king of Babylon to come kneel to him? His enemies offering reparations for war crimes? Everyone in his kingdom to become their equivalents of millionaires? All sickness be cleansed from the world (God did say anything)? Hair on my head rather than just on my back? Okay, the last one was more personal. 


Ahaz could have been selfish or hugely generous at this moment, but he would rather reject God than receive any proof that God is real. How sad and how crazy is that. 


The question we might want to ask ourselves is, "Are we being just as crazy?" Are we refusing to trust God and see His works, because we want to do things our own way?


God however did give a sign, and eventually, that sign when it came was Jesus. Jesus truly is God's ultimate sign. 


P.S. If you're the richest person in the world or even close. You are free to give me the offer mentioned above. I won't refuse. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment