Friday, February 23, 2024

Job 4


 No lie is more effective than one that is closest to the truth. I don't know who said this but it has been repeated often in many ways and the reason it is so is because it is true. Consider modern political commercials that take a clip of what someone says and turn it into someone far more than they meant or maybe take it further than it was intended. This is what I see in the responses from Job and his friends and is something that I will point out often in looking at what they say. What they say may be true, but... 

The first thing I see is that Eliphaz does admit that in the past Job comforted others. Then Eliphaz turns that same action against Job saying you told others to look up during trouble but you can't handle it, can you? Ouch! What an attack. I doubt that anyone that Job had comforted in the past had faced exactly what Job did but even if they had I have to think Job handled it differently than we are going to see Eliphaz doing.

There was also something I had never noticed before in this chapter but I will wait to comment until I do more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment