Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Psalm 5

 


In this chapter, the psalmist speaks of God hating wrongdoers and despising others. How can this be? Isn't God a God of love? God is love but God is also a God of Justice. 

For myself, I don't have a harder time understanding this. I can love someone yet despise the things they do and maybe in some ways hate it. I would want them to be better but yet I know that they're not therefore I hate what they do. If I was a judge I would have to obey the laws and have them punished for the good of all. A horrible example might be a horror movie where a loved one is taken over by a monster, disease, parasite, etc and to save everyone else you have to stop them or kill them. The person is loved but what they've become makes them hated.

We also need to understand that God's anger or hate as the psalmist puts it, isn't the same as ours. God is at both times far more merciful than we could believe and far more strict than we conceive. To say it another way, if you're counting on God to let you slide by and you will be surprised by his judgment. However, if you understand your own weakness, your sinfulness, and cry out in humility God's mercy and love will be greater than you could ever believe.

If what I'm saying doesn't make sense to you, don't worry about it. Just listen to the scriptures and have it teach you.

No comments:

Post a Comment