Sunday, August 18, 2024

Exodus 19


 

When I read this chapter a question was raised in my mind which I thought I knew the answer to and that was why not have sex if you're married? What I found others said confirmed what I thought. First, there was the chance that the person might become ceremonially unclean and not realize it. Another unknown to me was that other religions also called for priests to refrain from sex before especially important ceremonies. This might remind Israel that they were called to be something special to God and that this was an important event. Finally, the one that I did think of can be found again in 1 Corinthians 7:5 and relates even to today and the church. It said, "Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."  This final one was so that the people would focus on God and not on physical pleasures which might be okay but might serve as a distraction from what was truly important. To say it another way, hearing from God is more important than getting a good feeling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment