Thursday, August 22, 2024

Job 29



 How I long for the days when everything was easy. 

Isn't this what we all say. For Job, it wasn't wistfully thinking it was true. Job lived a good and godly life. Job was truly healthy, wealthy, and wise. He did what was right. In this chapter, Job describes his life and all he tried to do to live holy. Here are some of the reasons God could say in chapter one that Job was righteous and unlike any others. I would add that though he didn't list it, it was Job's faith in God that was the key to God's praise of his life. It was that faith which caused him to live like he did. As James would say show me your faith without your works and I will show you mine by my works (James 2:18). 

Another thing I would point out is that although Job is longing for earlier days, he isn't, unlike my comment, isn't saying when things were easy. He just wishes for the days before his affliction. I doubt living a life of integrity was any easier for Job than it is for anyone today. However, since he had lived it he was enjoying the rewards from doing so. These rewards are laid out in the book of Proverbs, the issue is however, that though the principles are true we live in a fallen world with an enemy and sometimes it doesn't work out perfectly. As Charles Bowen said: 

“The rain it raineth on the just

And also on the unjust fella;

But chiefly on the just, because

The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.”

Photo by Jordan McDonald on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment