Monday, May 21, 2018

TCN's Biblical Journey - May 21st

Today's reading is Psalms 23- 27

Which 23 psalm applies?


Psalms 23 is probably the most famous psalm in modern times. It is full of beautiful promises and gentle reassurances. It brings comfort during life's most challenging circumstances. It seems to promise peace and tranquility for everyone.

It doesn't.

The sad thing is that many who look to this psalm for comfort are as secure as someone unknowingly passing counterfeit money to an agent of the secret service. They will be confused but will find the money worthless and themselves broke. They will think there will be peace but there will be none.

How can I say this?

The problem is found in the first verse, "The Lord is my shepherd." It is important to understand if this first part isn't true none of the rest is. If the Lord isn't your shepherd, then a person is in a world of trouble. You see the shepherd is the owner, the master, the lord of the sheep. If someone hasn't made God his Lord and Master then the rest of the psalms don't apply.

It could be read:

The Lord isn't my shepherd, I will want.
I will not lie down in green pastures, not be lead by calm waters.
My soul is broken, I will go down paths of unrighteousness for my own sake.
I will be stuck in the valley of death, I will fear, God rod and staff will terrify me.
I will stand alone before my enemies, I will not be blessed, my cup will be empty.
Goodness and mercy shall fell from me and I will be separated from God forever.

Is the Lord your shepherd? Or not?

Photo by Patrick Schneider on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment