Wednesday, November 7, 2018

TCN's Biblical Journey November 7th

Tell City Nazarene Church's Biblical Journey
With Pastor Charles Areson
Today's reading is Act 20-23

“And now, behold, bound by the Spirit, I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me. “But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.” (Acts 20:22-24)
It’s going to be bad, very bad. Okay, let’s go!
This isn’t the normal conversation most people have. Usually, if something bad is coming to the smart thing to do is get out of the way. I don’t think God is against that idea. God isn’t impressed if we put ourselves in harm's way and then expect Him to bail us out. Scripture does say, “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty” (Proverbs 22:3;27:12). I am not impressed with those who take out a large mortgage, marry poorly, or overeat and they expect God to fix it. This isn’t where Paul was.
Paul was warned but he felt compelled to go. This wasn’t God saying don’t go. This was God warning Paul the road was going to be hard. It reminds me of the latter part of Isaiah 6 when God warned Isaiah that at the end of his ministry it would look like all was lost. For Isaiah, though the cities and nation would be desolate there would be a remnant faithful to God. For Paul, it was the promise of finishing his course and testifying to the truth of the Gospel.
Jesus never promised that everything would be easy for us there are times when we will have to face adversity, but if we are faithful God will work it for good (Romans 8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment