Saturday, September 28, 2024

The Hedgehog Church

 I know, "The What?" It sounds strange, but I think that there are business principles that can apply to the church. The principle that I'm looking at is the Hedgehog principle from Jim Collin's book Good to Great. The principle is that the great companies in his book focused on one thing (product or process) and strived to do it better than everyone else. What was observed is when you try to do too many things you don't do any of them great. Now before you dismiss me, I'm not saying that we should only have one program at church like great music, great youth services, or dazzling preaching (I do my best but I don't put the 20-30 hours a week into the messages and staff to help critique it), but I do think that sometimes we focus on what we can't do and then falter in what we do well or maybe even great.   

First, we need to take a look and see what we do well and encourage it. We have all heard or maybe even been the child who gets all A's and one C. What is talked about? The one C, even when that is the subject that we just don't "get." People often do not talk about the things excelled at. There are some things children, adults, business, and, yes, even church will never do well at. A tone-deaf person won't ever be able to sing professionally, except maybe in a comedy group. A small church in southern rural Texas will probably never be able to have an ice fishing ministry let alone a church orchestra. A church full of introverts won't have a great street ministry, just as a church full of extroverts won't have a thriving prayer closet ministry. Paul talked about this in 1 Corinthians we are a body of different parts, let's accept that and focus on the parts we have. 

Second, we need to quit trying to do what we have failed or will fail at. Unless God does something wild, and let's admit sometimes he does, a small community of retired people isn't going to have a thriving youth ministry. Neither is a church surrounded by poverty going to have a million-dollar mission budget. Yet, I have seen pastors and church leaders try to get churches in those situations to do both. I have seen guilt trips laid on and people quit trying to do anything for God. They are asking the nose to be an eye and can't see the problem if we use the Apostle Paul's term. 

I hope this gets you thinking but I had to ask what does this have to do with me and the churches I'm at? I have had only the opportunity to talk with someone in leadership at Selma Christ (Sorry or Congrats, New Burlington you're being thought of but not commented on). What is it that we do better? I confess that I try to make the preaching the best I can but I'm not Charles Swindoll. We don't have the personnel to be the best musical church though I'm pleased with what we have. What does Selma Christ do that I/we need to recognize and continue to strengthen? I have to say it's hospitality (not the word I originally thought of but it's correct). The church is welcoming, and helping, any time there's an offering to meet a need they are generous, they give encouragement to the downtrodden, and they support their pastor (I'm not talking money here though they are generous there too but in so many ways I can't write about). Selma Christ is a church filled with people who have the gift of hospitality, and they use it.  

So, Selma Christ, I think you are the best church in the area when it comes to hospitality. Do you do other things? Yes, but even those come from a heart that is filled with compassion. Keep it up, and keep being what God made you because you may not be the eye of the body but I think if you're not the heart you're pretty close to it.  

Photo by George Kendall on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment